You know the movie Chocolat? Well, you should get to know it. Johnny Depp is a pirate, a real pirate, a pirate babe. Juliette Binoche is a mom-chocolatier-babe. And the movie involves a lot of other things. My mom and I either watch it every Easter or we talk about how we have to watch it. It’s the best. For my 10th birthday I made five pre-tween girls watch it. Apparently, it’s not a movie all kids like. I think only one friend lasted the whole movie. Awesome birthday. Anyway, Juliette Binoche’s character makes this incredible hot chocolate. It’s so lucious looking, you can even smell it through the screen. For real.
Guess what? I accidently made it. A vegan version of course. A bit of trial and error… Never a bad thing when dealing with hot chocolate. And voilà. It’s intense and is the answer to all problems. The maca is optional but adds supreme goodness.
Here you are mes amis. Just in time for Love Day this Saturday. Enjoy it.
– 1 can full fat coconut milk
– 2 cups plant milk
– ¼ cup cocoa powder
– 2 tablespoons maple syrup
– ½ teaspoon cinnamon
– ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 1 tablespoon maca powder (optional)
– pinch of cacao nibs
1. Whisk everything, except the maca, in a small saucepan and bring to a low simmer.
2. Remove from heat, and whisk in maca.
3. Drink immediately. Or put in a thermos and go for a nice winter stroll, drinking this at your halfway point.
* You’re welcome. I mean, Ça me fait plaisir.
* I would normally add a bit of cocoa butter to this, but my health food store is waiting for an order, and this simply cannot wait.